Mountain View Speedway

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Mountain View Speedway
Mountain View Speedway
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Racing Junk.com
R.I.P. Cotton Owens.... EmptyTue Mar 01, 2016 12:09 am by Media Mogle

» Opening Day Flyer
R.I.P. Cotton Owens.... EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 11:59 pm by Media Mogle

» "Flamin"Raymond Pennington
R.I.P. Cotton Owens.... EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 11:01 pm by Media Mogle

» OPEN PRACTICE/INSPECTION March 19th & 26........
R.I.P. Cotton Owens.... EmptyMon Feb 29, 2016 10:43 pm by Media Mogle

» Get the money to finish your car now!
R.I.P. Cotton Owens.... EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 2:06 pm by LuvRacinRog

» R.I.P. Danny Ody
R.I.P. Cotton Owens.... EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 9:22 pm by Race Director

» Remember when......
R.I.P. Cotton Owens.... EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 10:02 pm by Media Mogle

» WADDELL WILSON EARNS SMOKEY YUNICK AWARD
R.I.P. Cotton Owens.... EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 8:34 pm by Media Mogle

» Former Modified Racing Great Rene Charland Dies
R.I.P. Cotton Owens.... EmptyTue Oct 01, 2013 8:35 pm by Media Mogle

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates
free forum

Affiliates
free forum

R.I.P. Cotton Owens....

Go down

R.I.P. Cotton Owens.... Empty R.I.P. Cotton Owens....

Post  Media Mogle Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:51 pm

Cotton Owens, the Hall of Fame driver and car owner whom David Pearson referred to as his hero, has passed away just weeks after being selected to the 2013 class of the NASCAR shrine.
Winner of two NASCAR modified titles as a driver and a premier-series championship as a car owner, Everett "Cotton" Owens was 88. He had recently been in poor health, and was unable to attend the May 23 ceremony in downtown Charlotte where he was selected as one of the five members of the Hall of Fame to be inducted next year. He instead watched the ceremony on television back home in Spartanburg, S.C., surrounded by his children. His condition was exacerbated by the passing of his wife Dot, who died in April.
Owens passed away Thursday morning. His death was confirmed by a NASCAR Hall of Fame official.
"He was always an honest, hard-working individual, and everybody always saw him as that," Owens' grandson Brandon Davis said at the Hall of Fame ceremony last month.
Within NASCAR circles, though, Owens was seen as a giant. As a driver he won more than 100 races on the sport's modified circuit, nine more on what is now the Sprint Cup tour, and lost a close battle with Lee Petty for the 1959 Cup championship. As an owner, he fielded cars driven by some of the best of his era -- Junior Johnson, Mario Andretti, Ralph Earnhardt, Fireball Roberts, Buck Baker and Pearson, the latter of whom won the 1966 premier-series title in Owens' Dodge.
Owens, who in his later years owned a sizeable automobile salvage yard, was born in Union, S.C., but became a central figure in nearby Spartanburg back when the city was the hub of NASCAR. "I always pulled for him before I ever started racing," said Pearson, also a Spartanburg resident. "He's always been my hero. I'd go by his shop. I always liked him because he's in my hometown right here."
As a car owner, Owens was very hands-on. "Cotton did all the work," Pearson said. "He'd build motors, he'd build cars. ... He did real well in everything he did. ... He did a lot of stuff himself getting the car ready, things a lot of people hadn't done. Anybody that deserves going into the Hall of Fame, he definitely needs to."

Media Mogle
Admin

https://mountainviewforum.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum